Calling all college students whose passion for journalism is exceeded only by the desire to help define the future of news: Billy Penn is actively looking for interns for summer 2018.
If you’re a go-getter looking for experience in a fast-paced local newsroom, this position is for you.
In this (paid) internship, you’ll do a lot of pitching, then produce stories to publish under your byline. We’re looking to bring aboard people interested in both writing and visual journalism.
Billy Penn has a three-person editorial staff that splits time between Philly’s neighborhoods and our Center City office. Applicants should be comfortable working from their laptops in a busy environment. Candidates should also feel comfortable navigating Philadelphia, be that by bike, SEPTA, car or on foot.
Expect to file at least one story or photo/video project per week. It’s a lot of work — but also a lot of fun.
Here’s what one of our former interns had to say:
Billy Penn is a perfect environment to pitch a weird idea that can inform people while entertaining them. The spirit on staff is to give ideas a genuine look before rejecting or taking them on. Be brave. Ask for help. Work hard. The team will help you put it together and with a lot of snark to go with it.
You will be working in the center of one of the country’s largest cities and will have every opportunity to go explore it. Keep an ear to the ground and an eye on Twitter. Figure out what makes this city tick, write about it, and enjoy every second of it.
We’re interested in people who:
- Have an understanding of what Philadelphians care about
- Can produce clean copy, or have a knack for photo/video storytelling
- Are excited to work multimedia or data viz into their stories
- Want to work a minimum of 10 hours a week (we can arrange to provide college credit)
- Have some previous experience on a newsroom staff (via internship or campus media is fine)
- Feel comfortable interviewing anyone, sometimes with little notice
- Are competent in and understand social media
Qualified candidates should email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Internship” by April 13. In your email, please explain your interest, provide examples of published clips, and attach a resume.