? Want this daily digest emailed to you? Sign up for the free Billy Penn newsletter and it’ll land in your inbox every morning.
McClinton sworn in amid battle for control of Pa. House
Rep. Joanna McClinton was sworn in yesterday as presiding officer of the Pa. House in an unpublicized ceremony, Spotlight PA reports.
- Democrats say the act means McClinton is presiding officer — and the first Black woman to hold th position — at least until the new session begins Jan. 3.
Hoagies out west: Wawa expanding to Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky
Making good on massive expansion plans promised last spring, Wawa announced it’s targeting locations in Ohio, Indiana, and Kentucky.
- Philly sandwich culture is slowly taking over the nation. In addition to its seven current markets, Wawa’s announcement yesterday means there are six other states due to get outposts.
The Delco-based convenience chain wants to double its store count by the end of the decade — and people in the Midwest are psyched to be on the list.
RECAP: What else happened?
$ = paywalled
- After years in court, Safehouse is still fighting to be allowed to open a supervised injection site in Philadelphia. The DOJ just asked for another two-month extension, but the nonprofit is pushing for a faster decision. [BP 2020/WHYY]
- The first TV ad of the 2023 mayoral campaign, now showing up on Philly-area cable networks, promotes candidate Jeff Brown. It uses footage of then-First Lady Michelle Obama praising the supermarket owner during the 2010 State of the Union address. [Inquirer$/Billy Penn/Progressive Grocer]
- Philly students are learning coding basics during the district’s 12th year participating in Computer Science Education Week. [Technical.ly]
- A new Philly Phlash bus route takes shoppers on a tour of Black- and brown-owned businesses in four Philadelphia neighborhoods. [Visit Philly]
- Have you seen the sidewalk cracks filled with colorful mosaic tilework? Here’s how the artist does it. [Streets Dept]
- A new breakfast spot called Rosy’s Cafe opened in Rittenhouse next door to sister restaurant Rosy’s Taco Bar, one of the many FCM Hospitality venues owned by Avram Hornik. [Philly Grub/BP 2018]
The British American Business Council of Greater Philadelphia works to encourage transatlantic business with the city, and Mayor Kenney today attends the group’s annual holiday luncheon at the Ritz-Carlton on Broad (12 p.m.).
ON THE CALENDAR
?? BP Quizzo on the Schuylkill River! Join us at Padelphia, just over City Line Avenue across from Manayunk. We’ll have three rounds of local trivia, drinks, snacks, prizes — and a chance to find out more about the racket sport called Padel. Free RSVP here. (7 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 15)
? Funky gallery Space 1026, which lives behind a hair salon sign down the block from The Met Philly, hosts its annual art auction and reception. (6 p.m. Friday, Dec. 9)
?Cellist Sheku Kanneh-Mason — who gained fame playing Meghan and Harry’s wedding — joins the Philadelphia Orchestra for three nights. Tickets start at $22. (Thursday-Saturday, Dec. 8-10)
? The Citizen hosts “Truth and the Media,” a free panel discussion featuring journalism industry celebs like former NYT exec editor Jill Abramson, NYT Mag writer Emily Bazelon, and The 19th’s Errin Haines. (6 to 8 p.m. Wednesday, Dec. 14))