Billy Penn, a local news startup, is looking for full stack web developers to be an integral part of their team.
Who Are You?
You are no one’s code monkey. You are excited by new ideas and want to be on the ground floor of innovation. You aren’t into labels like “front-end” or “back-end” developer. You’re a problem-solver who’s ready and willing to learn a new language, try a new library or dive into an API to overcome a challenge. You’re sick of dealing with old code, out-dated CMSs and bureaucracy; you’re ready to build something incredible from scratch. You’re the type of person who gets excited by efficient code and writes kickass scripts for fun.
Interested? Read on.
What You’ll Do
- Work closely with editorial, product and advertising to develop a mobile-first news platform built with WordPress
- Create and test cross-browser and multi-platform experiences from IE 7 to iOS 7
- Experiment with new site features to engage the Philadelphia millennial audience
- Develop a database to capture user information and preferences and create a personalized experiences
We’re Looking For
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented developers who can write clean, reusable code while getting things done in fast-paced environment
- Expertise in WordPress PHP, MySQL and AJAX
- Experience working with third-party APIs, such as Twitter, Facebook and Google Maps
- Deep understanding of best practices in mobile, tablet, and desktop user experience and software development
- Knowledge of GitHub, revision control and managing multiple repositories
- Passion for journalism and community engagement
- Previous employment in digital media, news and / or early-stage companies
- Expertise in responsive design and mobile development
- Experience in analytics and creating custom experiences based on user data
- Background working with ad servers and other ad-related technologies
- Based in Philadelphia
- Approved as a WordPress.com VIP developer
Interested? Send a cover letter, resume and work samples (such as a link to your website or GitHub account) to firstname.lastname@example.org.