Welcome back to the Philly Neighborhood Index. The first time around we used data to learn the defining details of Philadelphia neighborhoods rather than rely on generalizations or reputations. Now, we’re taking a closer look at dining and drinking in the same 16 neighborhoods in five different categories.
One more thing: We plan to continue analyzing neighborhoods and what makes them tick — we’re thinking public safety, population, nightlife or something else. We’ve already looked at 16 neighborhoods that are popular for young people. To nominate your neighborhood for our index, fill out this short form to let us know.
Restaurants: The best in every neighborhood
Some of them are fine dining restaurants run by some of the nation’s most famous chefs, while others are food trucks and family-owned sammich joints. Based on Yelp reviews, these are top-rated restaurants in each neighborhood.
- Bella Vista
Tortilleria San Roman at 951 S 9th St (5 stars)
Rybread at 2319 Fairmount Ave. (4.5 stars)
Ekta at 250 E. Girard Avenue (4.5 stars)
- Graduate Hospital
Kidari Sushi Yatai at 1824 South Street (4.5 stars)
- Logan Square
Octopus Falafel Truck at Market and 20th Streets (4.5 stars)
- Market East/ Chinatown
Morimoto at 723 Chestnut Street (4.5 stars)
- Northern Liberties
Cafe La Maude at 816 N. 4th St. (4.5 stars)
- Old City
Wedge + Fig at 160 N. 3rd St. (4.5 stars)
Gooey Looie’s Truck at 231 McClellan St. (4.5 stars)
- Powelton Village/ Drexel
Tacos Don Memo at 3800 Sansom St. (4.5 stars)
- Queen Village
Dmitri’s at 795 S. 3rd St. (4 stars)
- Rittenhouse Square
Vernick Food & Drink at 2031 Walnut St. (4.5 stars)
- Society Hill
Zahav at 237 St James Pl. (4.5 stars)
- Spring Garden
Sabrina’s Cafe at 1804 Callowhill St. (4 stars)
- University City
Saad’s Halal Restaurant at 4500 Walnut St. (4.5 stars)
- Washington Square West/ Gayborhood
Vedge at 1312 Spruce St. (4.5 stars)
Affordability: The ‘hoods with the priciest noms
No surprise here — the top three most expensive neighborhoods when it comes to restaurants are in the Center City area, and the least expensive are in areas largely inhabited by broke college students. Here, we break down the affordability of restaurants in each neighborhood by averaging out the Yelp dollar signs from each restaurant. ($ = least expensive, $$$$ = most expensive)
Coffee Shops: Are there enough places to get a local caffeine fix in your ‘hood?
Old City and Market East/Chinatown prove once again that they are the places to live if you want to live in a place with a lot of “stuff.” These two neighborhoods were the top two in nightlife and restaurants in our previous Neighborhood Index. University City comes in surprisingly low, given the high number of college students living there.
Grocery Stores: Is it easy to get food for some home cooking in your ‘hood?
For this metric, we counted markets and corner stores as well, not just the big stores. And not surprisingly Market East/Chinatown dominated. As long as you can deal with hipsters, a high crime rate and slightly above average rent, the positives of Market East/Chinatown are obvious: Tons of grocery stores, coffee shops and, if you look at version one, the most or nearly the most nightlife and restaurant opportunities.
Liquor: Can you buy it in your hood?
Liquor stores are to find in Pennsylvania. ‘Nuff said. So can you get it where you live and where?
- Bella Vista, No, closest is at 326 S. Fifth St. (Society Hill)
- Fairmount, Yes, 1935 Fairmount Ave.
- Fishtown, No, closest is at 180 W. Girard Ave. (No. Libs)
- Graduate Hospital, No, closest is at 2040 Market St. (Rittenhouse Square)
- Logan Square, Yes, 1628 JFK Boulevard
- Market East/Chinatown, Yes, 1218 Chestnut St. and 5 N. 12th St.
- Northern Liberties, Yes, 180 W. Girard Avenue
- Old City, Yes, 32 S. 2nd St.
- Pennsport, Yes, 1940 S. Christopher Columbus Boulevard
- Powelton Village/Drexel, No, closest is at 4301 Chestnut St. (U. City)
- Queen Village, No, closest is at 724 South St. (Wash. Square West)
- Rittenhouse Square, Yes, 2040 Market St.
- Society Hill, Yes, 326 S. Fifth St.
- Spring Garden, No, closest is at 1935 Fairmount Ave. (Fairmount)
- University City, Yes, 4301 Chestnut St.
- Washington Square West/Gayborhood, Yes, 724 South St.