This time of year, Mad Elf is a hot commodity. The Troegs holiday beer, boasting Christmasy flavors of cherry and honey with an 11 percent alcohol content, becomes available in November and as the holiday season continues gets increasingly difficult to find because of its popularity.
Troegs began brewing the beer in 2002 and found immediate success. This season, Troegs co-owner John Trogner said they’ve brewed about 7,000 barrels of the beer.
Here’s a guide for how you can get some of that Mad Elf in Philadelphia at events, bars or beer stores before it’s too late.
Mad Elf events
Teresa’s Next Door (Wayne), December 3
From 5-8 p.m., Teresa’s will have plenty of Mad Elf and other seasonal beers coupled with odd holiday treats, like Reindeer Stew.
Mad Elf Tapping Event, Fieldhouse, 1150 Filbert St., December 12
Drink as much fresh Mad Elf as you can as soon as the Army-Navy game concludes.
Annual “U Buy the Glass Night,” The Abaye, 637 N. 3rd, December 16
Pay a flat fee and drink a lot of Troegs, including Mad Elf.
Here’s a map of the places with Mad Elf within five miles of Center City so you can search for beer stores and distributors in your neighborhood. Below, see a list of all those places so you can scan for the store you normally visit to see if they have Mad Elf.
The beer stores and distributors were found via the Troegs Brew Finder. It’s probably a good idea to call any store in advance to see if they still have it, especially as the holiday season progresses.
- 19 Degrees Cafe, 1847 Christian Street
- A&B Beer Distributors, 4400 Whitaker Street
- ACME, 1901 Oregon Ave.
- Anjon Distributors, 5008 Lancaster Ave.
- Beer City, 701 E. Girard Street
- Beer Heaven, 1100 S. Columbus Boulevard
- Bell Beverage, 2809 S. Front Street
- Bella Vista Beer Distributors, 755 S. 11th Street
- Ben Franklin Beer Distributors, 27 S. 2nd Street
- Brewers’ Outlet of West Philadelphia, 309 S. 48th Street
- Camiel’s Beer Services, 2619 Aramingo Ave.
- Cicione Beverage, 1729 S. 20th Street
- Coloney Delicatessen, 2047 Chestnut Street
- D&S Beer Distributor, 2164 N. 21st Street
- D&W Beer Distributor, 3001 N. 2nd Street
- East Falls Beverage, 4024 Ridge Ave.
- Federal Beer Distributor, 1440 Federal Street
- Federal Deli, 1501 Federal Street
- Food & Friends, 1933 Spruce Street
- Franklin Beer Distributors, 1837 Callowhill Street
- Fresh Grocer, 4001 Walnut Street
- Girard Beer Distributor, 820 W. Girard Ave.
- Golden Coast Beer Distributor, 1218 Snyder Avenue
- Lee’s Foodway, 1422 Cecil B. Moore Avenue
- Little Sicily, 1608 S. Columbus Boulevard
- M&V Beer Distributors, 121 E. Allegheny Avenue
- McKee’s Beer Distributors, 2055 E. Sergeant Street
- Monde Market, 100 S. 21st Street
- Montgomery Beer Distributor, 1824 W. Montgomery Avenue
- Moore Beverage Beer Distributors, 601 W. Moore Street
- Norris Beer, 2003 N. 31st Street
- Old Nelson Food Company, 129 S. 30th Street
- Pac A Deli, 1200 Walnut Street
- Parkway Corner Deli, 2200 Spring Garden Street
- Philadelphia Beer Company, 2525 E. York
- Plaza Beverage, 2727 N. American Street
- Port Richmond Beverage, 2623 E. Tioga
- Port Richmond Thriftway Market, 2497 Aramingo Avenue
- Society Hill Beverage, 129 Washington Avenue
- Spruce Street Market, 1523 Spruce Spruce
- Stone’s Beverage Center, 1701 Fairmount Avenue
- Total Beer, 2431 Castor Avenue
- Town Food Market, 428 S. 13th Street
- University City Beverage, 4300 Walnut Street
- Vince Beverage, 2048 Ridge Avenue
- VIP Market, 1312 Walnut Street
- Wasco Beer, 1025 Spring Garden Street
- West Passyunk Beer Distributor, 1618 W. Passyunk Avenue
- Beer Love, 714 S. 4th Street
- Brew, 1900 S. 15th Street
- Cantina, 1651 E. Passyunk Ave.
- Cavanaugh’s Headhouse, 421 S. 2nd Street
- Crabby’s Sports Bar, 1050 N. Hancock Street
- Dolphin Tavern, 1539 S. Broad Street
- Franklin’s, 3521 Bowman Street
- Hawthornes, 738 S. 11th Street
- Las Vegas Lounge, 704 Chestnut Street
- Mac’s Tavern, 226 Market Street
- Mad Greek Restaurant and Pizza, 3517 Lancaster Ave.
- New Deck Tavern, 3408 Sansom Street
- Nickel’s Tavern, 2653 S. 2nd Street
- Paddy’s Place, 228 Race Street
- Shenanigan’s, 1624 N. Front Street
- South Philly Bar & Grill, 1235 E. Passyunk Ave.
- Tio Flores, 1600 South Street
- Valanni, 1229 Spruce Street
- Wooly Mammoth, 430 South Street