UberPOOL trips this week will cost less than a ride on the El or the Broad Street Line — if you’re going to the right neighborhood.
The recently-legalized ride-sharing service is offering $2.15 rides to a different neighborhood every day. It’s part of, well, an odd promotion — Uber says it’s tied to the DNC, but the convention begins next week, and this promotion is happening this week. But anyway, a $2.15 ride is a $2.15 ride.
Today’s featured neighborhood is East Falls. Wednesday is Fishtown, and Thursday is East Passyunk. Friday’s neighborhood has yet to be announced. Details on that neighborhood will be made available later this week.
For now, here’s a rundown of the neighborhoods by day, along with a few suggestions of activities or places to go if you need a reason to visit each ‘hood.
East Falls (Tuesday)
- Billy Murphy’s Irish Saloon: As part of the Uber promotion, you can get a free burger here while supplies last.
- Falls Taproom: Good beer selection, plus it’s right next to the river.
- Fishing: You can fish on the Schuylkill near East Falls Bridge. Seriously. People catch 50-pound catfish there.
- Bottle Bar East: They have half-off burgers every Wednesday and always cheap beers from the bottle shop.
- El Bar: Maybe the only place in Fishtown where you’ll find drinks ($2 PBR’s) cheaper than the UberPOOL ride.
- Interstate Drafthouse: They have a burger and a beer special for $12 on Wednesdays.
East Passyunk (Thursday)
- Boot and Saddle: Appetizers start at $2.50 during happy hour. Holy White Hounds are playing Thursday night.
- Pub on Passyunk East: Half-price drafts from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m.
- Stogie Joe’s: Like El Bar, the PBR’s are $2, plus domestic drafts are $3, just a bit more than your Uber ride.