You’re a salesperson stuck at a place that doesn’t “get it.” Maybe they’ve given up on digital; maybe you’re tired of telling them to pay attention to social media. You’ve run events that have started to feel boring and stilted. We’re Billy Penn, a Philadelphia-based local news start-up, and we think news and events ought to be fun. We’re looking for an experienced, innovative professional to work as a sales & events manager to help plan the busy monthly events schedule we’ve got lined up for this year, plus sell advertising and sponsorships on the site. Are you a detail oriented multi-tasker who works well with a team? Are you a self-starter? Do you like to laugh? We need someone who thrives on hearing about an idea and running with it, from beginning to end. Ideally, the candidate will be familiar with all areas in Philadelphia.
What You’ll Do
- Develop, coordinate and execute all aspects of events throughout Philadelphia for Billy Penn readers to attend, ranging from small events (30 people) events to larger events (200+ people).
- Conduct cold calls/follow-up calls to secure advertising and sponsorships for BillyPenn.com.
- Work with the Billy Penn team (news, design, development) to produce engaging events for Philadelphians throughout the year.
- Implement all facets of ad campaigns (creative, billing, pacing reports, campaign follow-up, etc.)
What We’re Looking For
- Bachelor’s degree in communication/business
- At least 3 years’ experience in digital sales or events, bonus points if it is in both areas. Extra bonus points if your experience is in Philadelphia
- The ability to multi-task. Sometimes we will have two events in a single day, or large events back to back.
- Ability to work with the team on the occasional night or weekend for events, as needed.
- A positive, can-do attitude.
- The ability to work quickly and independently.
- A commitment to collaboration, both inside and outside the organization.
- Someone who can close a deal, squeeze lemons for a signature drink, check people into an event, create new connections and show up to work the next day to organize the next event.
Interested? Send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line Sales & Events Manager.