Update: If you want a summer internship, check back in March. We’re looking right now for interns who can start in January.
Billy Penn is looking for editorial interns who can keep up with our lively staff while researching and reporting original content about Philly.
This is a pitch-heavy internship that requires candidates to share ideas and see them to fruition. Candidates should feel comfortable navigating Philly, be that by bike, SEPTA, car or on foot. Expect to file at least one story per week and assist reporters with project research in between.
Billy Penn has a seven-person editorial staff that splits time between Philly’s neighborhoods and our Center City office. Applicants should be comfortable working from their laptops in a busy environment.
Here’s some advice from some of our best former interns:
“Billy Penn is a perfect environment to pitch a weird idea that can inform people while entertaining them. The spirit on staff is to give ideas a genuine look before rejecting or taking them on. Be brave. Ask for help. Work hard. The team will help you put it together and with a lot of snark to go with it.”
“You will be working in the center of one of the country’s largest cities and will have every opportunity to go explore it. Keep an ear to the ground and an eye on Twitter. Figure out what makes this city tick, write about it, and enjoy every second of it.”
Wanna work for us? You should…
- have an understanding of what young Philadelphians care about and an innovative approach to telling those news stories
- have reasonably clean written copy
- have the ability to incorporate photos and other multimedia into stories, or tell stories on those platforms
- be ready to work a minimum of 10 hours a week (we can work with you to provide college credit)
Still wanna work with us? You should…
- have previous experience on a newsroom staff (internship or campus media)
- have a public-facing Twitter account that you actually use
- understand curation and attribution
- feel comfortable interviewing anyone, and doing so with little notice
- be ready to dive in … to work, and with our informal, outgoing team
Qualified candidates should provide examples of relevant work, including written news stories and social media activity and/or account management. Photo and video skills are a major plus. There will be an all-staff interview. Email firstname.lastname@example.org ASAP with the subject line “internship.” Explain your interest and attach your resume. No cover letters, please.