Billy Penn is looking for Fall 2017 editorial interns who can keep up with our lively staff while creating and promoting original coverage of Philadelphia.
This is a pitch-heavy internship that requires candidates to share ideas and see them to fruition. Candidates should feel comfortable navigating Philly, asking questions and trying things that ultimately might not work out.
Billy Penn has a six-person editorial staff that splits time between Philly’s neighborhoods and our Center City office. Applicants should be comfortable working from their laptops in a busy environment, and working alongside our Sales & Events team.
We’re looking for interns for the following roles. Please apply for one of these positions:
- Pitching and writing articles
- Managing our social media accounts and on-site curation
- Pitching, shooting and editing photo and video stories
Some advice from some of our best former interns
“Billy Penn is a perfect environment to pitch a weird idea that can inform people while entertaining them. The spirit on staff is to give ideas a genuine look before rejecting or taking them on. Be brave. Ask for help. Work hard. The team will help you put it together and provide you with a lot of snark to go with it.”
“You will be working in the center of one of the country’s largest cities and will have every opportunity to go explore it. Keep an ear to the ground and an eye on Twitter. Figure out what makes this city tick, write about it, and enjoy every second of it.”
Wanna work for us? You should…
- have an understanding of what young Philadelphians care about and an innovative approach to telling those news stories
- have prior experience in the job to which you’re applying, be that from student media, other internships or freelance work
- be ready to work a minimum of two days a week
- be extremely familiar with our site and how you can contribute to it
Still wanna work with us? You should…
- have a public-facing Twitter account that you actually use
- understand curation and attribution, and how to get the right audience on each story
- share ideas for what more we can be doing and how you can help
- feel comfortable interviewing anyone, and doing so with little notice
- be ready to dive in, and not just with editorial; expect to help us plan and execute events
Qualified candidates should provide examples of relevant work, including published news stories, social media activity and/or account management, and multimedia clips. This internship provides a stipend. Start/end dates are flexible and we can work with your university to provide credits.
Email email@example.com ASAP with the subject line “ fall 2017 internship.” Explain your interest, include links to your social media accounts and at least two of your best work samples. Attach your pdf. resume. Anyone with “Microsoft Word” as a skill will be automatically disqualified because c’mon. No cover letters, please. Deadline to apply is Wednesday, Aug. 2