💡 Get Philly smart 💡
with BP’s free daily newsletter
Read the news of the day in less than 10 minutes — not that we’re counting.
Billy Penn is hiring!
We’re looking for an experienced, innovative professional to work as a general assignment reporter. This reporter will help maintain the site’s tone, tenor and content mix by creating original work that can’t be found elsewhere, and keeping tabs on what Philadelphia is talking about online and off.
The ideal candidate can pitch a month’s worth of ideas at a time, produce an informed, focused article on short notice and float between topics as necessary. We’re looking for someone who can analyze the accessibility of Eagles tickets, explain the shortcoming of Pennsylvania’s medical marijuana program and eat 14 tacos for the sake of journalism. Top candidates will know exactly when and how to be funny in their reporting, and how to be skeptical without insulting.
If you want to write about what a politician said at a press conference, this job isn’t for you. If you can share six digestible takeaways from a panel about development and gentrification, keep reading.
What you’ll do
- Report and write compelling original stories that aren’t being covered elsewhere
- Find stories in the people and things you encounter every day
- Get comfortable in communities that might not look like yours
- Fact-check quotes, claims and campaigns of politicians whose work impacts Philadelphia
- Help establish Billy Penn’s brand across the city via social media, live events and other means
- Pitch ideas and always have several backups ready to go
What you won’t do
- Spend every Thursday in City Council Chambers
- Write crime briefs
- Report on a beat
- Produce a lot of longform content. Though opportunities may come up, this is a fast-paced environment. Think short magazine features with internet deadlines.
We’re looking for
- At least 2 years’ experience as a reporter for a digital news outlet
- A strong track record of using social media to find and draw audience around news — we’ll be reviewing your account activity
- Halloween costume ideas
- A commitment to collaboration, both inside and outside the organization
- Someone who understands Philly and lives here, or has roots here
- A positive attitude and a willingness to jump in at any moment
About Billy Penn
We’re a small, digital news outlet that covers Philadelphia and hosts events around the city (happy hours, pop-ups, scavenger hunts and more). You’ll be part of a seven-person staff that works very collaboratively in person and over Slack, and coordinates some efforts with our sister sites in Pittsburgh and Denver. We’re Philly natives and transplants, bikers and transit users, always on the hunt for a Lyft discount.
We love Philly, and everything we do — from our stories to our events — reflects that. That could be an event to discuss the latest State of the City report from Pew, a critical analysis of Philly’s discriminatory cash bail system or an annual roundup of 10 huge wins for the city.
We like to work with people who are as passionate about Philly as we are, who will get just as mad as we do when a Facebook commenter starts a sentence with how long they’ve lived here, who will taste-test soft pretzels and then cover the winning dough in lacquer and hang it on a wall (yep), who will eat a 20-course meal, ride a bike with pool noodles on it, and compare fried chicken sandwiches. You in?
How to apply
Send .pdf resumes to email@example.com with the subject line Reporter. Include links to your social media accounts, and a statement of interest. If you’re going to send us a cover letter, make it a great one.
Billy Penn — along with our parent company Spirited Media — is an equal opportunity employer.