I grew up in Northeast Philadelphia, where there are almost more Wawas than people. So you can only imagine how many times I’ve been inside one, and how many hoagies I’ve devoured.
Seriously, the rush of excitement I felt the first time I heard the Hoagiefest jingle on TV is burned into memory. And I’ll never forget when I bit into my first hoagie. It was an Italian, no tomatoes, little bit of mayo, little bit of oil, sweet peppers, lettuce, pepper jack cheese, on a classic roll. Washed it down with a strawberry banana smoothie with whipped cream, still my favorite beverage from Wawa today.
I’m not alone in my youthful enthusiasm for the brand, by the way — check out this kid:
These days, the rest of the world is starting to realize Wawa goes beyond just an average convenience store. The chain has evolved. Once upon a time, the only reason my friends and I would go to Wawa was because it offered free water, which we took advantage of after playing basketball. Now it’s a place I go for a meal, a healthy snack, gas, almost anything.
My daily Wawa trip includes many sights I find routine at this point — but catching them all in one visit is a trick.
Next time you go to a Wawa, can you spot all 12 of these things?
The Wawa Scavenger Hunt
1) Someone impatiently tapping their foot and rolling their eyes as they wait to order
Some people take a really long time to navigate that touchscreen menu.
2) Anyone not getting a hoagie
This used to be tougher. Nowadays the menu has everything from soups to quesadillas — but hoagies are still the lingua franca of the food counter.
3) A person shoving Tastykakes in their pockets while trying to evade the eyes of workers
Considering how busy Wawa is at times, it’s not surprising how often people get away with this.
4) A police officer pouring their millionth cup of coffee
Can’t really blame them, as the company provides java to cops free of charge.
5) People gathered over a trash can smoking outside
You don’t even have to go into the store to find this one.
6) Someone wearing pajamas repping a Philly sports team
7) A hoagie with everything falling out of it
We all know this is basically every Wawa hoagie — but they get wrapped up quickly that actually spotting one might be tough.
8) Apple slices without the skin
PSA: This is legit the best snack the store sells. They cut them just like my mom does!
9) A child making a fuss because their parents won’t buy them candy
Have you introduced them to the apple slices, mom or dad?
10) Guy in line rummaging through his pockets in search of the extra 55 cents for a large coffee
We all know that dude.
11) 1,079 different flavors of Wawa iced tea and juices
Ok, there’s not quite that many varieties. But there are a LOT — at least 25 or 30.
12) Cashier rolling their eyes at the length of the line
We are sorry for patronizing your store.