💌 Want this daily digest emailed to you? Sign up for the free Billy Penn newsletter and it’ll land in your inbox every morning.
African American Museum moving to Ben Franklin Parkway
The African American Museum in Philadelphia is moving to be part of museum row on the Ben Franklin Parkway, officials announced yesterday.
- Its home will be the former Family Court building at 1801 Vine St., a historic, columned, 240,000-sq.-ft. behemoth that’s sat vacant for years despite its prominent location right next to the Free Library’s main branch.
The library will also open a new kids center in part of the building. Four development teams are being considered, with a 5-year timeline for completion.
Where to get free backpacks or donate to help school kids
Philly students are returning to learning in just a few weeks, and it’s time for families to stock up for going back to school.
- Free backpacks are available at several events, and there are also a lot of orgs collecting bags and other necessities to donate to kids who need them.
From district-sponsored events to neighborhood nonprofit drives, Asha Prihar rounds up options for picking up or donating bookbags and supplies.
RECAP: What else happened?
$ = paywalled
- Several Pennsylvania Republican elected officials have been served subpoenas by the FBI, including U.S. Rep. Scott Perry, whose phone was seized as part of the federal investigation into Trump’s “alternate electors” plan. [WHYY]
- Philly’s Health Department opened its own genome sequencing lab, which officials say will lead to swifter study of COVID cases in Philly. Yesterday the CDC changed its guidance and no longer recommends people quarantine after an exposure — just wear good masks and self-test often, they say. [WHYY/NBC10]
- Starting next year, Drexel University will offer 50% off tuition for community college graduates in Pennsylvania and New Jersey transferring to the school. [Inquirer$]
- What does it mean to thrive as an entrepreneur or freelancer in Philadelphia today? A new series will explore the question, starting with a look at five people making it happen. [Technical.ly]
- Have you checked out the Neon Museum of Philadelphia on North American Street? Run by a Northeast Philly native with a thing for old signs, the site contains 100+ displays from city businesses dating back to the 1950s. [KYW/BP 2019]
- It’s not just rookie tackle Jordan Davis — there’s been buzz about several Eagles players this summer, with one pundit even saying QB Jalen Hurts could be ready to lead a dynasty. The Birds take on the Jets tonight in their first preseason game. [USA Today/NBCS Philly/PhillyVoice]
The Mayor’s Office hosts several interns each summer — in paid positions, which started after a 2018 Billy Penn article — and today Mayor Kenney speaks at a graduation ceremony for this summer’s cohort (9:15 a.m.).
ON THE CALENDAR
🎰 BP Quizzo lands at the South Philly sports complex in Live’s Sports & Social bar, where cohosts Danya and Sakeenah will quiz you on trivia about all things Philadelphia. Prizes include gift cards and beach chairs, all free with RSVP. (6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 17)
🍹 South Philly gets its own rum distillery with Otto Distilling Compnay, which is marking its grand opening with two days of giveaways, mixed drinks, and distillery tours. (12 to 4 p.m. Friday, Aug. 12 and 1 to 10 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 13)Noah Tanen takes over The Lunar Inn for a New England-style clam roll pop-up. And yes, there will be beachy cocktails. (11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 14)🐚 TikTok famous foodie and Billy Penn contributor