Comcast Technology Center in Philadelphia; Billy Penn illustration (Mark Henninger/Imagic Digital)

Some Eagles fans in Philadelphia are threatening to change their provider after Comcast’s Xfinity internet and cable service went down on Super Bowl Sunday.

The problem persisted for several hours. Shortly after the Eagles-Chiefs game began, around 6:55 p.m., the company said the issue appeared to be resolved.

“All services should now be restored to customers in Kensington and Fishtown that were impacted by an outage caused by vandalism earlier today,” said Comcast spokesperson Jennifer Bilotta. “We are thankful to our local teams that responded immediately and resolved this issue as quickly as possible.”

Anyone still experiencing issues should restart their modem and/or cable box, Bilotta said.

The Philly-headquartered communications giant previously said it was working to have everything back up and running by kickoff. And even after the supposed resolution around 7 p.m., some customers still reported spotty internet service.

Residents of the Fishtown neighborhood began reporting connection problems on social media midday on gameday. The official Xfinity outage map confirmed the disruption.

The automated message online promised a fix, with a time that kept getting moved back. Just before gametime, it said things might be back up and running by 6:30 p.m. — but when the Eagles-Chiefs face-off began, some customers were still having trouble connecting.  

“We’re aware that you may be experiencing a Internet [sic] interruption and are working to resolve the issue,” the online message read. “We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your patience.”


Many residents were frustrated and furious.

After all, this is almost a holiday in the sports-obsessed city. People have prepped food, spent on decor, made efforts to pull together the perfect gameday fit, potentially even bought TVs specially to show the big game — and the couldn’t get it to show up.

Philly Police have not responded to a request for more information about the vandalism.

Updated Feb. 13