Bridge repairs force 2-year detour behind the Art Museum
The MLK Drive Bridge closed last week for a $20 million renovation, forcing a two-year detour that’s catching people by surprise as the weather warms.
- Recreational users depended on the Schuylkill River overpass to access the riverside trail, including joggers, cyclists, rollerbladers, even horseback riders — and the consensus is generally “this sucks.”
But it’s necessary, Jordan Levy reports, because the bridge was literally falling apart. People have been sharing alternate workarounds to the offered detour.
What to expect at Fishtown’s newest bar: Manatawny Still Works
Pottstown distillery Manatawny Still Works opened its fourth tasting room last night, adding to one of the city’s hottest dining and drinking scenes.
- Located on Lee Street near Pizzeria Beddia, the new bar has a minimal yet cozy interior. There are over a dozen whiskeys on the drink list — including a coffee-infused collab with ReAnimator — plus beer and wine.
There’s no kitchen, but you can bring food from anywhere in the neighborhood. Ali Mohsen reports, and the cocktails are the real draw.
→ What you’ll find at the new spot
RECAP: What else happened?
$ = paywalled
- Gov. Shapiro’s budget proposes to change how Pa. State Police are funded, reducing reliance on tolls and gas taxes and setting a firm amount that would not have to be renegotiated each year. [Spotlight PA]
- Police are giving conflicting reports about the crowds of teens that swarmed Wednesday night through Center City. No property damage was reported or captured on video, though an officer hurt his knee chasing someone. The Fashion District will now require anyone under 18 to be accompanied by an adult after 2 p.m. [Inquirer$/6ABC/WHYY]
- No doubt mayoral candidates are navigating a non-stop schedule, but high school organizers are disappointed most chose to skip the “Philly Youth Voices” forum, which they say was organized in February. [@PAYouthVote]
- SEPTA will spend its last COVID relief funds in the coming fiscal year and is projecting a $240 million deficit come FY2025. That makes finding a fix for the operator shortage all the more pressing. [KYW/Billy Penn]
- Teachers say the popularity of “Abbott Elementary,” based on a fictional Philadelphia public school, is helping raise awareness of the challenges they face on a daily basis. [BP/NPR]
- Mom Donna Kelce’s half-Eagles, half-Chiefs Super Bowl jersey has landed in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. [@ProFootballHOF]
The holiday weekend starts today, per Mayor Kenney’s office — seems he’s taking off Good Friday — so there are no public events on his schedule.
ON THE CALENDAR
🌵 Chilean American artist Jacqueline Unanue hosts a First Friday reception at Muse Gallery in Old City for her solo show featuring paintings inspired by the Atacama Desert. (5 to 8 p.m. Friday, April 7)
🌮 Those looking to break Ramadan fast with Mexican food clan head to South Philly Barbacoa for a special Iftar Party, featuring lamb tacos and all the fixing. (7 to 9 p.m. Tuesday, April 11)
🦚 Mummers-curious can explore what happens behind the scenes as Golden Sunrise NYA — the last remaining Fancy Division club —hosts an open house and workshop tour. (11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday, April 16)
Catch up on the previous week
Receive Billy Penn’s free daily roundup in your inbox every morning