Get to know the PACs spending big in the 2023 primary
Much of the money in the most expensive race in Philly history isn’t going directly to the candidates. It’s going to political action committees.
- A super PAC is backing each top mayoral candidate except Domb, and there’s one that’s primarily anti-candidate. These groups can take unlimited donations, and there’s also one focused on Council races.
Meir Rinde took a look at each super PAC spending big in the 2023 primary, including who’s backing them, who they’re supporting, and why.
Michelin is creating its first-ever Philadelphia tourism guide.
Philadelphia is becoming one of just eight U.S. cities spotlighted by Michelin, the French company known for travel and dining guides around the world.
- Declaring Philly the “Frenchest American city” with a “perfect compromise between American excess and European spirit,” the book spotlights cultural institutions, activities, parks, and restaurants.
It’s the Green Guide, which is different from getting the famed stars, Asha Prihar reports, but it could be a first step.
RECAP: What else happened?
$ = paywalled
• Four months after the first series of buses sent to Philly by the Texas governor, another group of 31 asylum-seekers arrived yesterday and were assisted by local immigrant nonprofits. [BP 2022/CBS3/Phila Gov]
• Building 21 school in West Oak Lane today gives another try at reopening, after last week’s return from two months of asbestos remediation was delayed by water damage. [6ABC]
• Rough times for Philly district schools in general. The latest assessment shows test scores declining and a rise in absenteeism, along with facilities issues. [Chalkbeat]
• Find out what local anti-violence nonprofit leaders think about several of the questions in our Meet Your Mayor quiz. [Generocity/PhillyMayorQuiz.com]
• Food trucks at night, piles of pierogies, and a mad dash to the mud pit are all part of this weekend’s fun. Ali Mohsen has it all in this week’s Quick Bites. [Billy Penn]
• Christmas Day plans for Eagles fans: The NFL has the Birds at home on Dec. 25, playing division rivals the Giants. The full schedule releases tonight at 8 p.m. [Eagles]
• With a win tonight over Boston, the Sixers could make the NBA conference finals for the first time since the Iverson era. No jinx no jinx no jinx. [ESPN/StatMuse]
Philly’s 99th mayor is still in Washington D.C. for the conference on affordable housing. Earlier this week Kenney announced a formal transition committee to “ensure a continuity of city operations” in advance of the next mayor taking over in January.
ON THE CALENDAR
💃🏿 A dance party at Red Wine Club in Lawncrest honors Haitian Flag Day, featuring an album release by Haitian kompas music band Cruz La. Admission is $30 in advance. (10 p.m. Saturday, May 13)
🌱 There are dozens of events across the city during Love Your Park Week, an annual planting and cleanup event organized by the Fairmount Park Conservancy. (Saturday-Sunday, May 13-21)
Catch up on the previous week
Receive Billy Penn’s free daily roundup in your inbox every morning