Alleged cop shooter Edward Archer pleaded guilty to a 2012 armed assault

The charges stem from an incident just blocks away from where a Philadelphia police officer was ambushed Thursday night.

Police officer shot

The man who is suspected of opening fire on a Philadelphia Police officer in West Philly late Thursday night pleaded guilty to an armed assault that had taken place a few blocks away in January 2012.

Edward Archer, 30, of Yeadon, has been named as the suspect who ambushed Philadelphia Police officer Jesse Hartnett and firing 13 shots at the officer at 60th and Spruce streets in West Philadelphia. Archer was on parole and awaiting a hearing scheduled for January 19, stemming from the 2012 armed assault. In addition, Archer was found guilty in November of charges of fraud and forgery in Delaware County, and he was set to be sentenced on those charges Monday.

According to court documents, Archer pleaded guilty to simple assault and carrying a firearm without a license last year after police said that in 2012 he pointed a gun he wasn’t licensed to carry at a man’s stomach, threatened him and then chased the man with the gun when the victim had broken free.

An affidavit of probable cause filed by Philadelphia Police states that a male victim was inside his mother’s home when he opened the door shortly after 4 p.m. on Jan. 31 to find his girlfriend’s father standing in the doorway. The man questioned the victim about his relationship with his daughter and then said “two guys want to see you.”

Police say two men — one later identified as Archer — emerged from a vehicle parked outside the house. The victim reported that the man identified as Archer pulled a gun from his waist and pointed it toward the victim’s stomach while grabbing his shirt and threatening him.

The victim was able to break free, but he reported Archer followed him and again produced the gun. According to police, the victim was able to call for help and Archer apparently fled.

Archer was tracked down by police in 2013 and faced bevy of charges that included aggravated assault, conspiracy, terroristic threats, simple assault and others that involved firearms. He pleaded guilty last year to carrying a gun without a license, a third-degree felony, and simple assault, a second-degree misdemeanor. The more severe charges were dropped in the plea deal.

According to court documents, Archer was sentenced to nine to 13 months in prison, was allowed to count time served and was immediately paroled. Records show he was originally arrested April 14, 2013 and was released April 30, 2013 after posting partial bail.

This story has been updated.

Mornings are for coffee and local news

Billy Penn’s free morning newsletter gives you a daily roundup of the top Philly stories you need to start your day.

You finished another Billy Penn article — keep it up!

We hope you found it useful, fun, or maybe even both. If you want more stories like this, will you join us as a member today?

Nice to see you (instead of a paywall)

Billy Penn’s mission is to provide free, quality information to Philadelphians through our articles and daily newsletter. If you believe local journalism is key to a healthy community, join us!

Your donation brought this story to life

Billy Penn only exists because of supporters like you. If you find our work valuable, consider making a sustaining donation today.

Being informed looks good on you

Thanks for reading another article, made possible by members like you. Want to share BP with a friend?