Billy Penn is looking for an experienced, innovative professional to help build our audience. Our site was founded on the principle that we will always go where the audience is. With that, our social media and news curation strategies are constantly evolving.
That’s where this job comes in, as we’re looking for someone who has that same passion for sharing news and information from all parts of this amazing city, to help us continue to reach new audiences. This role will help establish the site’s tone, tenor and content mix by linking directly to the most interesting and relevant news and information for and about Philly, creating quick posts for the website and identifying new audience strategies. The ideal candidate is a self-motivated, quick-thinking problem-solver who thinks like an editor, excels at customer service, and has a knack for spotting trends. If you want to aggregate other local media, we’re not for you. Interested in diving deep into Philly’s communities, sharing information no one else is and brainstorming ways to reach new audiences? Read on.
What You’ll Do
- Create and curate content for our mobile-first news platform, with an eye toward the most interesting stories in the city. Figure out how that information will best resonate with our users
- Manage our brand accounts on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat, keeping Billy Penn’s voice strong and consistent, and engaging directly with those audiences
- Help drive engagement across Philly’s news ecosystem with an emphasis, but not a monopoly, on our staff-created content. But don’t aggregate. Link! Share! Write thoughtful, clicky (but not clickbaity) headlines and social media hooks for the biggest stories in the city every day — everything from political corruption to concert announcements to long-awaited stop signs in a neighborhood
- Experiment with storytelling forms that will resonate with our audience and catch on with new audiences across the city
- Elevate stories in communities that aren’t represented every day in local and mainstream media, giving them a home on Billy Penn’s platform
- Establish long-term connections with readers across diverse communities through curation and develop new ideas for coverage
We’re Looking For
- At least 2 years of experience in a relevant field, including journalism, marketing and branding
- A strong track record of using social media to find and draw audience around news and information — on your own social media accounts, and for brand accounts
- A quick-thinker with a deep social media network who can elevate small stories for a larger audience
- A knack for finding the viral stories before they go viral
- An organized, detail-oriented person who can work on a highly regimented schedule, but knows when to be flexible and break the rules
- A commitment to collaboration, both inside and outside the organization
Who Are You
Maybe you already live in Philly, or maybe you’re looking for a fresh start. Your current job is fine and all, but you’re looking for a more innovative environment where any idea is fair game. You think brand accounts should have a voice, be immersed in the communities they represent and engage regularly with them — and you’re up to the challenge of handling that. You think news needs to be more reader-driven and you have ideas about how to make that happen. Or you just want to work in a cool place with people who really care about what they do.
Please send resumes, cover letters, and links to relevant work and social media accounts to email@example.com. All attachments should be .pdf or shared through Google Drive.
Spirited Media Inc., Billy Penn’s parent company, is an equal opportunity employer.