💌 Want this daily digest emailed to you? Sign up for the free Billy Penn newsletter and it’ll land in your inbox every morning.
What to do about rising rents in Philly
Over half of Philadelphia renters are “cost-burdened,” per a recent Pew study, which means they spend more than 30% of their income on housing.
- Median Philly rent in 2020 was about $1,030, lower than many other big U.S. cities. But by January of this year, the median price had risen 11%, according to Realtor.com.
How much does it cost to attend college in Philadelphia?
The University of Pennsylvania, ranked 10th most expensive in the nation, just approved a 2.9% tuition, boosting annual student costs over $80,000.
- That’s tops in Philly, but some other colleges come close. None of them pay property taxes despite large endowments, which means city services like the school district miss out on a potential windfall.
How much do students pay for the various colleges in this region? Jordan Levy compiled a list with the latest tuition, room, board, and financial aid stats.
RECAP: What else happened?
$ = paywalled
- Former Pa. Attorney General Kathleen Kane, who served time in jail on perjury charges, was arrested for DUI in Scranton over the weekend. No injuries were reported, according to police. [Billy Penn/Spotlight PA]
- Philly has three new spots where EV drivers can get a quick charge: two on Aramingo and one on Oregon Avenue. [Green Philly]
- Temple University plans to mostly drop its indoor mask mandate Monday, though students will still have to wear them in classrooms and labs. [6ABC]
- Quinta Brunson’s hit Philly-based comedy Abbott Elementary has been renewed for a second season. Librarians hope the show will take the opportunity to address the dismal state of public school libraries. [@AbbottElemABC/Billy Penn]
- Someone crunched the numbers, and guess which U.S. city ranks as the best place to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day this year? (Unclear exactly how this calculation works, but we beat out Boston, so.) [WalletHub]
- Pop-up chef Hoagie Dom thinks Ben Franklin would crush a roast pork, and Gritty would love something with Calabrian chile sauce. [Eater]
- Eagles center Jason Kelce, who is not retiring this year after all, sang the national anthem before last night’s Sixers game. It was part of a fundraising challenge for former teammate Connor Barwin’s foundation. [NBC Sports Philly]
Kenney is out of town this week, traveling internationally on a personal trip, per his office.
ON THE CALENDAR
🌮 Billy Penn event: Join us for news and history trivia about the city you love! Our monthly Philly Quizzo night is back at Jose Pistola’s in Center City. Free RSVP, happy hour specials, win a $50 gift card if you get the top score. Don’t miss the bonus music trivia round. (6:30 p.m. Wednesday, March 23)
♻️ Brainstorm solutions to Philly’s trash and recycling crisis at Weavers Way Co-op’s virtual meeting with former Philly Recycling Coordinator Maurice Sampson. Free RSVP. (6:30 to 8 p.m. Thursday, March 17)
💎 The old Dollar Tree at Front and Girard gets crafty at the N+T Blooming Buds Pop-Up, featuring stands from local artists, artisans, makers, and other vendors. (10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday, March 19)