Pennsylvania’s richest person is now even richer
The Philadelphia area is now home to one of the world’s 50 richest people, according to Forbes’ latest billionaires list: Jeff Yass.
- Yass leapt up to No. 48 with a net worth of $28.5B, more than double the previous listed estimate. He was an early TikTok investor and owns Susquehanna International Group, a Bala Cynwyd trading firm.
He’s known for avoiding taxes and big political donations — to Rand Paul, to a PAC that backed Ted Cruz, to and supporters of school privatization in Pa.
Memories of the worst Sixers team in history, and the best
South Philadelphia native Ron Rabena worked for one of the worst teams in local sports history — and for one of the best.
- Rabena was a ball boy for the 1973 Sixers, the squad that won just 9 of 82 games. A decade later, he was assistant equipment manager when the 1983 Sixers won the NBA Championship.
Though to be the lone surviving alumnus of both teams, Rabena spoke with reporter Pete Croatto about his basketball memories. (Yes, he has a ring.)
RECAP: What else happened?
$ = paywalled
- Sen. Bob Casey officially launched his 2024 reelection bid. Which Republican he’ll face is unclear; onetime gov candidate Doug Mastriano is eyeing a run, and party insiders are reportedly looking to recruit hedge fund CEO Dave McCormick. [@PoliticsPA/Politico x 2/WESA]
- Two more Philly schools are closed this week over damaged asbestos concerns: Mitchell Elementary and Frankford High. District officials said more discoveries may follow as inspectors apply new, stricter standards. [Mitchell/Frankford/6ABC]
- What if instead of building an arena downtown, the Sixers owners bought into the Wells Fargo Center? Comcast Spectacor Chair Dan Hilferty is teasing that idea. [Inquirer$]
- WURD Radio host Charles Ellison is stepping away from his popular weekday news show, “Reality Check,” to take care of his health. [WURD]
- That abandoned bike frame you pass on the sidewalk may finally disappear this weekend, part of a coordinated Streets x Bicycle Coalition effort during the citywide Philly Spring Cleanup. [WHYY’s PlanPhilly/Spring Cleanup]
- It’s the 10th anniversary of Philly kid turned rockstar Kurt Vile’s breakout album, “Wakin On A Pretty Daze.” [Stereogum]
Nothing on the public sked for Philly’s 99th mayor.
ON THE CALENDAR
🌮 Those looking to break Ramadan fast with Mexican food clan head to South Philly Barbacoa for a special Iftar Party, featuring lamb tacos and all the fixing. (7 to 9 p.m. Tuesday, April 11)
🌺 Design your own floral crown at Glen Foerd at a free workshop led by the historic riverside destination’s two teaching artists in residents. (11 a.m. to 1 p.m. either Saturday, April 15, or Sunday, April 16)
Catch up on the previous week
Receive Billy Penn’s free daily roundup in your inbox every morning