Danya Henninger is culture editor for Billy Penn. She's a writer and photographer who grew up in New York City, then moved to Philadelphia and fell in love with her new hometown. She has contributed to the Philadelphia Inquirer, All About Beer, Vice and Draft, and has been a restaurant critic for the Courier-Post and New Jersey Monthly. In 1997, she founded photo-video firm Imagic Digital with husband Mark Henninger.
She accepts freelance pitches for Billy Penn culture stories. Guidelines:
- • The story needs some kind of connection to Philadelphia. That can mean something happening/that happened here, a person from here, a person who wants to come here, a person leaving here, a trend we need, a local trend that's tired, etc etc.
- • We "write the best, link to the rest," so the story has to be unique, something that's not going to show up in two or three or five other local publications.
- • We don't often commission stories on specific people (musicians, artists, chefs) unless they have a really interesting hook. Already famous? Going viral? Fascinating/unknown/touching backstory?
- • We commission both short news pieces (700-800 words) and longer features (1,500+).
- • Rates vary with both length and experience of writer.
It’s a bigger deal than the Pope, the DNC, Made in America or New Year’s.
Chef Steve Eckerd brings serious chops to a revamped gastropub menu.
The Florida outpost marks the third city and fourth location for the CookNSolo hummusiya.
Tunde Wey is back with good food and challenging conversation.
“People were sure we were closing for good.”
The Fishtown shop might close, but its founder told a Free Library crowd he isn’t going anywhere
The West Philly bistro’s tasting menu is a whole day’s worth of eating — breakfast through dinner and dessert.
From April 27 to 29, bars and restaurants are running specials to attract the more than 200,000 people expected to attend
Introducing the “Kitchen Cabinet PHL,” which wants a seat at the legislative table.
It’ll be run by Aramark, which has worked out a franchise deal.
“It was supposed to run five days, and we ran out in two.”
These bites and cocktails are on order at the legendary brewery’s new tasting room.
What better date to announce the event than 4/20?
They’re called “fatbreads,” from High Street auteur Alex Bois. And they’re amazing.
Queen Village will be home to Humpty’s Dumplings, the “best thing” the mag ate at Bonnaroo.
The ridesharing giant’s delivery service now counts 700 eateries as partners.
The company says it’s focusing on expansion.
Tips and tricks to dining around the MFL — including the 1-lb cheesesteak.
Ramona Susan’s shows us it’s a bit messy, but not hard at all.
Hate surge pricing? Meet ‘dynamic delivery,’ which blindsides customers who’ve ordered before, but can’t again.